High Towers

by Grace 1. June 2017 21:42

Here's a poem I wrote in 2013. This was a fun one! Interesting things come up while the narrator tells the story. A few things that may confuse you when you first start reading, but you realize something about the character and his tower at the last two lines.

No, this is not a true story... Enjoy!

Towers

I wanted to be famous,

To be somebody great.

I wanted to be special

So a tower I did create.

It's walls were green and purple,

And yellow and maroon.

It took me super long;

From dawn 'till afternoon.

But as I took a break

The baby saw my work

And with one tiny whack

My precious tower he broke.

Bitterly I wept

As I cleaned up 'til ten.

And out of bitterness

I've never touched a block again.

Haha... I almost called this one Tower of Babel. XD

Did you like the poem? Did you understand what the tower was made of at the end or did it leave you confused? At the beginning of the poem did you realize it was a child or were you fooled into thinking that it was a grown man building his own little 'tower of babel'??? Let me know what you think!

Tags:

6/1/2017 11:06:18 PM #

Haha! I was so confused about this until you gave your explanation! I didn't know exactly what it meant, but then you said Tower of Babel and then I though that but then, you said it was a child and it all clicked and I understood what it meant! At first I think I did think it was a grown man, haha!

I never knew you had such great poetry! Laughing

6/1/2017 11:34:11 PM #

Haha yeah, it's a child and his block tower! Glad you liked it! The reveal line is when the child says he's never touched a block ever since.
This one wasn't as good as some of my other ones... I wrote it when I was thirteen and I probably could have made it more clear. I decided I'd share it with you all anyways though!

6/2/2017 12:02:25 PM #

Hi Grace, this poem full of riddles but I think I understand its meaning, correct me if I am wrong.

The tower reminded me of an old song Stairway to Heaven. Also, I noticed that in the end you had turned away from what you were doing most likely because you knew you were sinning. The tower represented an idol, of your own creation, which is an abomination to the Lord. There is no tower or stairway to Heaven only through Christ. And, in the end, you understood that.

Stairway to Heaven
[Introduction]

[Verse 1]
There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying the stairway to heaven
When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for
Ooh, ooh, and she's buying the stairway to heaven
There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure
Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings
In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven

[Chorus]
Ooh, it makes me wonder
Ooh, it makes me wonder

[Verse 2]
There's a feeling I get when I look to the west
And my spirit is crying for leaving
In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees
And the voices of those who stand looking

[Chorus]
Ooh, it makes me wonder
Ooh, it makes me wonder

[Verse 3]
And it's whispered that soon if we all call the tune
Then the piper will lead us to reason
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter

[Verse 4]
If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now
It's just a spring clean for the May queen
Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on
And it makes me wonder
Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know
The piper's calling you to join him
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind

[Guitar Solo]

[Bridge]
And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last
When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

[Outro]
And she's buying the stairway to heaven

6/2/2017 6:43:36 PM #

You know, I hadn't really put that much thought and depth into the poem. However, your points are really good. You know, I was told in my English class that when analyzing literature (specifically poetry) you get what you can out of a poem. If you pull something out that the author didn't actually think of when writing, it doesn't matter. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! It adds a whole 'nother layer of depth to the poem.

6/2/2017 10:44:52 PM #

Hi Grace, that was kind of funny, I was just teasing you about sinning in building that Tower in your dreamy poem.
That was just one of jokes.

It is interesting how much depth and meanings can be read into poems whether or not the author intended. I think that is what makes poetry some of the most complex literary work. Some of the poetry my that my brother wrote in his 3000 page collection, I worked on it for 4 years with experts in poetry and they would tell me all these hidden meanings, things that I did not see in his poetry. Things I may never understand, but there seems to be those who do think they grasp it.

6/3/2017 11:47:02 PM #

Haha! It's so hard to decipher a joke over the computer. :/
It is very interesting how meanings and depth can be read into poetry. Usually books are more clear. Poetry is definitely one of the most complex forms of literature.

6/4/2017 1:53:13 PM #

Grace, this was awesome!  You write amazing poetry.  Yes, after the first few lines I thought it was a grown person building an actual building, but then when you started telling the colors of the walls and that it only took you morning till afternoon to build, I realized that it was a kid building blocks ;)  Great job however!!  And this is so exciting about you beginning a blog! Smile

6/4/2017 6:24:57 PM #

Aw, thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it! And yes, I figured you'd be excited to hear I had a blog!

6/4/2017 5:12:25 PM #

Hi Grace, here's a poem that my brother Eric Walker wrote. It was about Aslan who was a very interesting at times. Some compare it to our God in cartoon form, just another way to express it I guess. Here it is...

Aslan ’s Coming

At the end of Time

when the stars glow cold;

in the trembling face of Winter

beneath icy shadows,

in the clear green of the fields,

Aslan roars, a full lion’s roar

speaking for all creatures,

and the roar awoke the men and children

who stood still in their graves

mediating on the silent gray of stone,

and dusk reflected in the lion’s mane

and the lion spoke to the Earth,

saying: “Suffer the children to come

unto me, for I am like a sponge to water

and a well to the thirsty.”

In the twilight of the Earth

Aslan sat on His throne  among nature,

and the towers of sky were devastated,

and night fell upon the land,

and Aslan spoke to the night, saying: “Night you precede

me like the wick of a candle hugs the flame, night you

are no longer the monster but a soft and burnt effigy of

the wicked world.”

Then taking his soft paws He walked upon the Earth

till dawn, and then spoke to all His creatures:

“Again you will be wild, for wild is born in you,

and again you will be hunted, but not by men with guns

but by your own curiosity, and you shall go in freedom,

because one you were tamed by Love, now you will be set

free by this Love, and no longer will you fear anything!”

And then He left His throne and ran through meadows of silver snow,

with his wild eyes flashing like jewels in a stream.

And so was the beginning of the second Millennium of Light,

when the creatures were freed from their bondage and began

to live without the fear of Man. From this is the birth

of the Sun out of the decayed darkness of Man.

Aslan’s dawn was the color of blood still in the vein.

6/4/2017 5:16:30 PM #

This was in the poem about the towers of the sky, how interesting!

Aslan sat on His throne  among nature,

and the towers of sky were devastated,

and night fell upon the land,

6/4/2017 6:26:17 PM #

Thanks for sharing! Your brother was really good with his wording and imagery!

<<  February 2020  >>