Our Lives are Passing Times

by Grace 7. November 2017 10:42

Hey everyone! Today I finally have some of my own inspiration to share with you!

Let me know what you think!

Our Lives are Passing Times

The years are flying quickly by,

And time is flying fast;

And someday that is coming soon,

Our lives here will be past.

What have we done with what we have

To make our lives worthwhile?

Have we reached out to troubled souls?

Or giv'n the world a smile?

God's given so abundantly,

More than we'll ever know;

The least that we can do for Him

Is His great love to show.

Our lives are spent most selfishly-

In gaining for our pleasure,

And though things we get or want aren't 'bad',

It's all just earthly treasure.

And while we're  spending all our time

Enjoying what we've got,

We forget the ones who really

Haven't got an awful lot.

God's given so abundantly!

The least that we can do

Is to reach out with what we've got

to help a soul or two.

It isn't truly thankfulness

To hide with all our stuff,

And then ignore the ones

Who haven't near enough.

We would not have anything

If it weren't bestowed by God,

So we should help the weary souls

Who harder paths now trod.

You can't bring earthly things to heav'n,

And soon I'm sure you'll find,

It matters not what we'll bring with us

But what we'll leave behind.

And hey, just for the fun of it, if you can tell what rhyme scheme I used, comment below and let me know! Perhaps I'll do a post on rhyme scheme soon.

Did you like the poem? Any suggestions on how to make it better???

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

11/7/2017 2:38:31 PM #

Amazing message in this poem, Grace!  I especially loved the last two lines -- definitely a truth we need to ponder.

11/7/2017 3:10:42 PM #

Glad you liked it, Grace! To be honest, I read your post this morning and it formed part of my inspiration to write this. ;)

11/7/2017 8:58:33 PM #

Aww, Grace, that's amazing!  Thank you so much for sharing that with me -- today I was having a hard time and was debating quitting my blog.  It is such an encouragement to know that my post helped inspire you to write these beautiful words.  Thank you so much <3

11/7/2017 11:58:11 PM #

Oh Grace, you're an inspiration to me and many others! Don't let the devil get you down! Keep on keepin' on!
Eccl. 9:10

11/7/2017 10:39:54 PM #

It is Poetry! In fact due to the pertinent message this is a five star poem.

Agreed, I love those two closing lines. Sums the message up well and balances its structure with a skillfully written closing. Also note how pertinent and reminiscent of times of days past which adds a very deep sentimental component. The whole subject of the poem entices the reader as so many can relate to time and change and the wonders of it all.

I write that "our lives are but seasons in time, for a time I left you because I became busied with Earthly Things, and treasured false idols of this temporal world. I was young then and now I have returned to you born of sin, but I have grown to love you and know that God is first in my life. For a season, I wandered away far, but I have returned home knowing better than before".

11/8/2017 12:05:40 AM #

Thank you much! I'm glad you liked it!

11/8/2017 10:05:42 AM #

Hi Grace, yes indeed - I really loved that poem and I encourage you to keep writing. You have a gift. Even more if you can transform the poem to a song, a melody and chorus.

11/8/2017 10:08:46 AM #

Oh, my attempt to write a mini poem to summarize your poem in a paragraph, my attempt at poetry, I will never be the poet that my late brother was, but I surely enjoy writing.

11/8/2017 12:33:15 PM #

Well, you don't need to be the poet your brother was - only the one God wants you to be. That's what makes it worthwhile and while I still write. It doesn't matter that I'm not the poet my Grandma is. (by the way, she's an amazing poet!) In fact, it doesn't matter that I'm not the poet that I want to be. It only matters that I'm using what he gave me for His glory to the best of my ability!

11/8/2017 9:11:12 PM #

A great outlook, if we are going to learn, just keep on keeping on, as I am sure your grandma would say.

I want to learn about many things with God being at the center of my life.  These are special talents and we should use them as they are given to us by God to use. So if you talent is music, writing and reading which I have found helpful. Do not be surprised if something changes when a gift of a talent is given to you. You are suddenly good at X Y or Z.

I like to write about life as seasons of time, and in each season we learn something new. It just keeps on going at any age, at anytime, you may find something whatever it is.  Some of us seem to go through these seasons or  phases.  I was into something for a time and then something that I was good at and it interested me comes along that I can do, so I have moved on to something new.

11/9/2017 1:21:40 AM #

You know, I think our talents also change and form through the purposes God has for us. If God wants us for a purpose, He'll begin molding our minds and our talents and our bodies to what they need to be to ultimately bring glory to God in His perfect way.

12/12/2017 5:29:18 PM #

Oh, I absolutely loved this poem and the message it portrays! You really have a talent, and the message was so great! Laughing

12/12/2017 7:08:18 PM #

Thanks Olivia! I'm glad you liked it so much! It kind of came to me while my mind was on Thanksgiving. (:

Pingbacks and trackbacks (1)+