The Child and the Cucumber

by Grace 11. November 2017 15:15

Hey all!

I decided that after the serious poem of a few days ago, I might as well share something a little more light-hearted. This is a poem I wrote last school year for English 2. I don't remember exactly what the assignment was... something about two things, a person and an object that needed to be personified, looking through a window and their thoughts concerning each other. I thought I had a nice touch of irony to it - the lack of the meeting of minds. (By the way, for those of you who didn't know, 'meeting of the minds' is a law term from contracts. I couldn't help it. I'm enjoying my paralegal terminology. ;) I also had to add alliteration and a simile. I think there might have been something else I had to put in there but I don't remember. For all of you who know what those are (hopefully quite a few of you know what a simile is!) see if you can find them and point them out! For those of you who don't know, let me know and I'll give an explanation.

The Child and the Cucumber

My tongue begins to water as I see you where you lie;

The most crispy, crunchy cucumber that has ever met my eye!

Oh, what I would give for you, I crave your crispy texture!

But into your dominion in the neighbor’s yard I dare not venture!

There must be something I can do to get you here, my treat!

I think that I might go insane if you I cannot eat!

Oh what am I to do while I am here and you are there???

I guess I can ask the neighbors and see if they will share.

Oh child, I sit here miserably shriveling sadly in the sun!

Sitting in the dirt over here is anything but fun!

I long to live in luxury on top of your kitchen counter!

Bring me in and wash me clean with refreshing soap and water!

I want to be displayed like a trophy, my lovely green skin to show.

That’s what you could do with me. I am beautiful, you know.

I know you want me in there, I can see for me you’ve cried.

I don’t know what you want with me, but please bring me inside!

Did you enjoy the poem? Do you know what a simile or alliteration is? Did you notice any other literary devices in the poem? Do you like cucumbers? ;) Who do you feel more sorry for - the child or the cucumber? If you were the child, what would you do??? Let me know in the comments! I love hearing from you all!

By the way, make sure you go to the sidebar and check out my new About page!

Tags: , , , ,

11/11/2017 11:42:20 PM #

It just kind of reminds me of the lazy days at summers end. a child with little worry. Not to demand much, to find happiness in simple pleasure. Even kids these days have lost much of it - glued to cell phones.

11/13/2017 10:15:01 PM #

Yep, I bet! A child who imagines who has a worry to be sure, but what he finds so worrisome indicates he doesn't truly know what worry is! Haha!
Yeah... It's pretty sad how people waste so much time on their phones nowadays. You know, smartphones actually signal the same place in your brain as addictive substances such as alcohol. Interesting stuff, huh?

12/12/2017 5:37:10 PM #

Haha, this was so funny! I think I felt worse for the cucumber, but then it said it didn't know what the child wanted with it so... it could have a un-happy ending for the cucumber! Haha! I do indeed like cucumbers. ;) I loved how this was a funny poem, I have never written a funny one, believe it or not! ;)

12/12/2017 7:10:31 PM #

Haha! I'm glad you liked it! And yes, I think that this could result in a very bad end for the cucumber... XD And you should try writing a funny poem - I don't do it often, but when I do, it's so fun! Larry the cucumber inspired this one... ;)

Charity Lacroix
Charity Lacroix
12/19/2017 12:32:51 PM #

I enjoyed that poem! You did a great job. In a poem I wrote a couple months ago, "Spared", I use some alliteration too. verses-to-the-king.blogspot.com/.../spared.html.

Yes, I like cucumbers, especially with some salt and pepper. We eat them every day for breakfast, either raw or as pickles!

If I were the child, I would probably ask the neighbor if I could eat their cucumber! I would even offer to pay for it.

12/21/2017 4:58:58 PM #

I'm glad you liked it!
I actually saw that poem that you wrote a while back. I really liked it! I've actually tried to comment on that post, but I can't figure out how to for some reason! It didn't work when I tried. :/
I really liked your use of alliteration in your poem spared. In fact, I just really liked that poem in general. It had a nice, strong theme and I just like alliteration a lot too!

<<  August 2020  >>