Finals Exams/Fear and Anxiety

by Grace 13. November 2017 21:35

Hey everyone!

I'm starting my quarter finals test tomorrow (for those of you who don't know, I'm a student of Oak Brook College of Law (OBCL.edu)). My quarter finals exams will consist of four 2-hour exams, two tomorrow, one on Wednesday, and one on Thursday. And for the record, one of my greatest fears is timed tests.

But I thought I'd just hop up here and let y'all know that even when we're facing our worst fears, we can lean on Jesus and HE can relieve us of our fears.

In reality, having fear is a sign of lack of trust. Let's say you went to the doctors and they said that you had a disease and that they would need to operate on you for you to get better. But you cry, "No way! That's just plain CREEPY! You're not cutting into me! That's terrifying! I don't care if you drug me to sleep first! I'm afraid!" The doctor shakes his head and says, "you don't trust me, do you? Well, if this is the way it's going to be, you're just going to have to deal with this issue that's cutting away at you."

Folks, anxiety is a sign that we're not trusting God enough, and as a result, that fear will be used by the devil to cut away at our souls. And I can attest to that; I'm still scared to death. But when I pray about it, the Great Physician begins His operation I start to feel better. However, if I don't let go, the pain of fear drains me so that I'm not as efficient for the purpose God has created me for.

Now, fear is something that takes time to rid yourself of. In fact, we cannot be fully immune to the temptations (yes, temptation -- a lack of trust in God is a SIN) of fearing and not trusting God until we get to heaven and are fully sanctified in His presence. But it's something to work on, and letting go of your fears and leaving all in God's care is glorifying to Him.

So for all of you who are like me, shaking in your shoes and wondering what to do and how to do and where to do and what to do and then realizing your muddled brain is going in circles, cast your cares upon the Lord and put your best effort in for the glory of God. Give Him your all.

Eccl. 9:10

Blessings and Prayers for you all!

What struggles and challenges have you been facing that cause you to fear? What are some of the Bible verses you refer to when you're fearful, stressed, and anxious? What is your reaction when frightening things come up - praying or panic?

For those of you who haven't seen yet, check out my new 'About' page on the sidebar!

Tags: , , , , , ,

11/14/2017 9:26:23 AM #

I will be praying for your exams to go well, Grace!  Thank you for sharing your thoughts.  Back in August I got super anxious about having oral surgery, and I literally cried every day for 5 days.  Then I memorized Psalm 46 and that was SO helpful.  I didn't cry anymore after that... xD

11/14/2017 9:52:24 AM #

Thanks Grace! I will certainly have to go over and read Psalm 46! Oral surgery is something I probably would have had trouble freaking out over... I freaked out when there was just a slight chance that I had an issue that would require me to undergo heart surgery. I didn't end up having ASD (which is what they thought I might-possibly-maybe-unsuredly had), and all that anxiety was quite a waste of thought, time and emotion!
Last time I had a timed test I was literally sick the whole time with anxiety. I'm praying that this time I'll be able to concentrate on the task ahead of me and have a clear enough mind to answer the questions. (:

11/14/2017 8:03:33 PM #

Grace my prayers for you, I know how had these type of things were for me. I just don't do well under stress, naturally being anxious. One thing is true, I am so much better than before, as faith give us rest from the daily anxieties of life which seem to come in storms or flurries.

They (things) can sometimes seem to be just too much all at once, until you slow it down to a day by day, and just pray. it has helped me, but sometimes I fail even so as is to be expected from us mere mortals. Not to let our anxiety take us over, but negatively can easily sneak in at times.

11/14/2017 11:13:27 PM #

Thank you Mr. Walker! Yes, sometimes it can seem like too much, but we only need to take it as we come - "One Day at a Time" as the song goes. God only gives life to us in baby-sized bites!
By the way everyone, tests today went well! Two exams down, two more to go! Tomorrow is the Contracts exam (*shudders*), and the next one is for Family Law. Hey, did you know that most people enter into contracts on a regular basis??? But I'd better not write a full post about it here in the comments. Lucky for you guys. ;)

11/15/2017 8:10:55 PM #

Hey that's great 1 down, just two to go.

Hey everybody - we'll have to be careful with what we say to Grace, she is starting to sound like a lawyer and they love to sue all their friends.

Just kidding, my uncle was a senior partner in a skyscraper full of lawyers in LA. He is retired now but still is surely on the payroll as a founder of the firm. I think Grace would make a kind lawyer, tell us Grace what kind of lawyer do you want to be? You mentioned family law and I experienced my very own family law attorney sadly when I divorced, on her desk was an ashtray, pack of ciggs. (I used to smoke ciggs.) and a box of kleenex. Talking about a tough job. All the crying clients and all the sorrow, kind of reminds me of prision guard who works so much overtime he feels imprisioned himself. So tell us Grace, that's surely not what you want to be is it? Smile

Scott

11/16/2017 2:01:35 PM #

3 down, 1 more to go! I have Family Law today at 1:00! So far, so good! Thank you Jesus!
Haha, yes, breach of contract, misrepresentation, intentional infliction of emotional distress... Hehe, I have a lot of tools in my belt! ;) Don't worry, you're safe though. I'll be nice to you.
I'm actually studying to be a paralegal, not a lawyer. A paralegal, for those of you who don't know, is a lawyer's assistant. Paralegals are actually a pretty new thing - they haven't been in existence for very long.
I'd like to be involved in all areas of the law as a paralegal, including family law. People who are considering divorce or are having family issues could really use a christian influence in their lives. I personally don't intend to help with divorces - I'd rather counsel against them. Anyhow, I'd like to be involved in the messy, stressful areas of law along with the cleaner (that sounds like an oxymoron though...) areas of law. God didn't call us to be a light in the cleaner (more like 'less dirty' when it comes to law) areas in life, but also the messy, personal areas. If I'm going to immerse myself in the impersonal areas of businesses filing for breach of contract, I'm also going to dive headfirst into shining a light in the area of criminal law and family law.
Sorry, long, deep comment... Brownie points for anyone who read all of that!

11/16/2017 5:47:26 PM #

Good I think a paralegal is great.

For those who do not know me here, I worked at a court house in the county tax dept for nearly 30 years and retired as a senior management analyst. I had many friends that were attorneys that I dealt with and knew. Being a "tax man" for so long I was not well liked as my name appeared on many legal documents that are still in effect today seven years later like our ten year tax liens.

I spent many of my days simply signing my name to huge piles of documents such as liens, levies, DMV Holds Etc. So as a result I got to handle all the "fall-out". I got to be a very kind public servant, in fact I was too kind and retired about five years early as the new administration was taking over after the election. They knew me as too soft and kind, they wanted and I am sure they found someone mean for this job. But for years I had to put up with policies and such that did not jive with my personal beliefs, there was always that uncomfortable feeling of being controlled, even in management as I reported to an elected official.

The kind elected treasurer-tax collector was retiring, and I had worked for him for 25 years. He was kind and cared about the public, the new administration did not. So here I am retired at, but no regrets. I was 50 when I retired from the county, a county in CA.

Scott

I think for Grace being a paralegal kind of puts you out of the spot light behind the scenes, the attorneys handle all the ugliness and you would simply be preparing documents as per the attorneys instructions. They really are the inner workings of any of today's law office, behind every good attorney is a good paralegal.

12/12/2017 5:51:37 PM #

I am so glad you were able to fight through the fear and to press on and succeed! I am so proud of you. Laughing

12/12/2017 7:11:22 PM #

Thanks so much! It's definitely a work in progress still, but it was a step forwards, praise the Lord!!!

Laura Danner
Laura Danner
1/16/2018 9:08:48 AM #

Hi Grace! This was a good post! A verse I like is 1 Peter 5:7, Casting All your care upon Him, for He careth for you."

1/16/2018 9:50:59 AM #

Thanks! With my second quarter finals coming up, I need all of the Bible verses and encouragement that I can get!

<<  May 2019  >>