Special Post: Poem/Song Suggestion

by Grace 7. December 2017 21:08

Hey everyone!!!

I have something special for y'all today! (: Here's a poem I wrote a few years ago:

Humble Baby Born so Low

Humble Baby born so low,

Put inside a manger bed;

Born within a noisy stall,

With no pillow for his head.

Shepherds left their flocks to roam

Gazing at the Christmas star,

Gathered staffs and headed out,

Went to Bethlehem so far.

Wise men followed the bright star

With myrrh frankincense and gold

As gifts for the little child,

This a tale to be retold!

That he gave us Christmas day,

Let us show our gratitude

By walking the holy way!

Copyright © 2014 by Grace Helland

Now here's the special thing about this post - follow this link and go to 40:41 and you will see us performing this song last year at our Christmas program! I know some of you have asked if I could post a video of me singing some of my songs in the past, so I thought you all would like it. (: I wrote the lyrics, created my own tune, and then wrote out all the four harmony parts. Hard work, but I love doing it! It's a passion of mine! I wish I had more time on my hands to do it. (: Anyhow, enough of my chatter. ;)

P.S. Credit to my siblings Abigail and Daniel for key change suggestions and having one person start and then everyone gradually join in on the first verse. <3

Did you like my song? Were you happy that I FINALLY posted one of my own songs for you to hear? How did you like our a'cappella arrangement that I made? Do y'all know HOW EXCITED I was to share this with you????? ;)

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

12/9/2017 11:58:01 PM #

Beautiful. Beautiful Poetry!

12/9/2017 11:59:31 PM #

Posted to wrong file, this is the file of the wonderful poetic poem.
Beautiful. Beautiful Poetry!

12/10/2017 10:12:25 AM #

Thank you! Do you remember us singing this art the Christmas concert last year?

12/10/2017 10:48:06 AM #

Hi, Happy Sunday this Lord's Day.

We were there, and honestly I do not remember it. Whether you sung it or read it. But surely I took a close look at it yesterday.

Since this time last year I have been busy reading and studying.  I read the ESV Bible, it took me a more than a year as reread some books. With that fresh on my mind, and all the things we have learned in church, I believe I see it differently than I may have overlooked it last year. Being read something or listening to a song is not the same as studying its text in depth.

When I was much younger, I remember singing along to some of my favorite songs which back then would of been soft rock. In these songs they can wrote and sing about almost anything "my make up, the same circles around my eyes, my eyes as dark as a shadow"... an so on. If the music and singing is good (that was taken from an old Stevie Nicks song) so if the music and all is really good then they could sing about the kitchen sink and sound good. Stevie Nicks and band, she's an American Singer I like.

I sang along for years until one day I was wondering and looked up the lyrics there we parts of the songs that I thought they were singing about something else. Some of the old rock bands could be quite complex in their lyrics leaving some mystery - which is good for them to sell the music (records back then). People love mysteries for some reason.

Christian music is rather new to me and it carries with it deep religious messages which are pleasing to our Lord.
And, It's an important component of our pleasing worship of of Him.

Keep posting links - as I have been looking for good ones that I like too. Thanks.

Scott

12/10/2017 6:17:54 PM #

Will do, Mr. Walker! Will do!

12/11/2017 11:04:02 AM #

Hi Grace,  you said that this is actually a song that you wrote so I was wondering about the music part, and how it sounded. Was it put into written sheet music that can be played? This may be asking to much, how would it sound and is there a way you can present it as a song?

You had wrote it was a poem, but it's a song. This one is a special from looking at the text and one wonders how it would sound sung and played.

12/11/2017 11:58:03 AM #

When we sang it, we actually did it a'cappella - that's how I made it to be. But we did it in good ole' fashioned, strong 4-part harmony. I posted the link in this post and the time in the video where we sang it, so you can go back and listen to it. I do have it all in sheet music though - otherwise I wouldn't have been able to teach it to my siblings! ;)

12/11/2017 5:25:34 PM #

Loved this!  You write beautiful lyrics, Grace. <3

12/11/2017 5:43:22 PM #

Aw, thanks! Glad you liked it!

12/11/2017 7:51:41 PM #

Wow, you can write sheet music, I once could;  but I lost the art - after not practicing, as I had gotten interested in other things. That' great, I'll go back and look for it.

12/12/2017 6:14:46 PM #

I loved reading it! I didn't exactly find where you were singing it in the video??? What part are you singing at? I'd LOVE to see it! Laughing

12/12/2017 7:14:21 PM #

It's at 40 minutes and 41 seconds. Let me know if you watch it and how you like it!

<<  December 2018  >>