Happy New Years Everyone!!!

by Grace 1. January 2018 23:33

Happy New Years Everyone!!!

It's hard to believe that 2018 is already here. 2017 has gone by faster for me than any other year before.

Like a friend of mine said on her blog, it's kinda sad to leave last year behind. It was a huge year for me. It set a whole new vision and purpose in my life - a completely different yet exciting new perspective. Unrealistic dreams became realities; some of which were dreams I never knew I had or fully understood.

But this year will be exciting for me too! God has a plan for this year that is just as big, wonderful, perfect, and challenging as last year was! And while last year was setting a vision for my life, this year is when I will start pursuing that vision. And I'm excited for that!

You know, as I sit here reflecting on 2017, I realize that I made some pretty BIG mistakes. But you know what? I grew a whole lot last year - probably more than I've grown in other years (I mean in character - according to our measurements of my height, I'm shrinking... Our statistics must have been off somewhere along the line). I faced some of my greatest fears (my mom's miscarriage, a car accident involving someone from my family (fortunately the family member who was in it was fine though) and tough timed exams).

And through all of this, I have learned so much about God. There is no one we take for granted more than God. Even when we are in complete awe of Him, we still cannot fully comprehend how great and holy he is. No other can be just yet merciful in the way that He is. And no one else can make an intricate plan for the life of millions and billions and trillions of people and make all of them unique in their life's story, their looks, and their personalities. In addition, none of us can even fully comprehend or understand Him, let alone understand the things He can.

And have you ever really thought about how much it entails to be perfect? I don't think that even Mary Poppins understood what it meant to be practically perfect in every way. (*Gasps*) Perfect in mind, pure of heart, spotless in actions and attitudes. And he accomplishes this easily. Not only from the throne of heaven, but on earth, He was PERFECT. PERFECT!!! That is no small thing. And if it wasn't for this perfect, holy, loving, just, merciful, caring, supernatural God, I would be living the same useless, miserable life that I had been living a few years ago.

Before I sign out here, I want to share with you a few things I did last year, things I want to do this year, and some of my goals:

Things I did last year: 1. I started school through OBCL to be a paralegal. This is one of the biggest things I have ever done!

2. I started a blog!!!

3. I made some new friends. I even made a friend through what at first was just an embarrassing accident... (shout-out to Grace)

4. I worked at many new events for TCB (a security and event staff company). I especially enjoyed Clackamas County fair in Canby, OR, but I enjoyed all of them.

5. I helped with a wedding. Ooh, this was so fun! It was such a beautiful wedding, too!

6. I overcame (partway, at least) my fear of timed testing. For those of you who don't know yet, for the three courses I've gotten grades for so far (there were four courses I had tests for last quarter) I got two -A's and an A (100%!). I'm still waiting for grades for the last one. :)

And that's just a fraction of what I did... I'm too tired to remember anything else right now. Just for your benefit, all of you, writing posts at ten o'clock is a REALLY BAD idea I'm finding right now. Should've done my New Years Day post this morning instead of two hours away from the end of New Years Day.

Moving on...

Things I Will Do This Year:

1. I'll turn 18. And in law terms, that means I won't be an infant anymore! (By the way, for those of you who don't know this, the law term for minors is infant...)

2. I'll graduate from law school. I finish in the first or second week of August, I believe.

3. I'll graduate from highschool. Yup, folks. highschool and College in the same year. Cool, huh? Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. :D

Goals For This Year:

1. Be more friendly and outgoing and less shy and reserved. I'm too afraid of people. And being an introvert makes it easy to not even try to engage in conversation with others. I can easily go sit in the corner and write songs or poetry or something. And that's good sometimes, but not for the most part. I really need to push myself outside of my comfort zone and reach out to others more, and think more of how they feel instead of how I feel.

2. Practice piano, violin, guitar, and mandolin more this year. Something I didn't do too well with this year.

3. Memorize several passages of scripture. Another thing I didn't do too well with this year. I'd like to memorize Psalm 23, 119, and several other passages, but I'll go through and set more concrete goals in a few days.

4. Finish reading Lord of the Rings. Yup, this is PRETTY important to me and to another unnamed sibling who really wants me to finish reading it.

5. Work at a new event that I have not worked at before. There's a few more events throughout the year that I'd like to try.

6. Get my DPSST.

7. Work as a paralegal. Possibly even do some internship type stuff before I've finished schooling. We'll see.

8. Put the birthdays of all of my friends and family and extended family in my calendar and do something for their birthdays. Much easier than doing something for all of them at the same time on Christmas...

9. Finish our CD. Me and my siblings started this sometime last year... We really need to finish it...

10. I forget... maybe I'll remember tomorrow what I was going to put here. All comes from staying up to late. BAD IDEA. I'm a morning person, by the way. "Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man (or girl!) healthy, wealthy and wise!" as Benjamin Franklin put it (although I obviously added the part in parentheses...)

Well, there you go! I'd better go to bed now... This post should get the longest post of the year award. Yay for any of you who actually read all of this... I'm very long-winded when it's late and I'm tired.

Happy New Year! And goodnight!

Are you excited for the new year? What are some of your goals? Your favorite memories from last year? Things that will happen in your life next year?

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1/2/2018 9:45:43 AM #

LOVED THIS, Grace!!  And thanks so much for linking to my blog (twice!) Smile  Haha, I love how you put that our friendship was started by accident -- God works all things out for good! ;)  I'm so glad you accidentally included me on that email list, so then we got to get to know each other! <3
How exciting you get to graduate both high school and college this year!  That's just super cool Smile
God's blessings on you this year! <3

1/8/2018 7:37:08 PM #

Glad you liked it, Grace! And as far as linking back to your blog, it was a pleasure. Smile
Yes, an accident, but a delightful one to be sure! Only God could think of that. ;)
And yes, graduating from highschool and college in the same year is definitely the REAL DEAL of the year for me! Haha! And graduating from college before my brother (although he started first) is also a plus... Haha!
God's blessings on your year too!

1/3/2018 10:08:52 PM #

Grace, nicely written. I always enjoy reading what you write. Your writing skills along with your music all takes practice and effort and you will make it all happen with God's Blessings this New Year 2018!

Scott

1/3/2018 10:11:18 PM #

Thank you Mr. Walker! Your encouragement is appreciated.

1/5/2018 3:47:13 PM #

Your 2017 sounds like it was amazing and I know you are going to do so many new amazing things in 2018! I had a wonderful 2017 too, highlighted by visiting you!!! Laughing And starting my own magazine ministry, I have big plans for this year, I'm excited to see where God takes them! Laughing

1/5/2018 5:04:31 PM #

Oh! That's something I forgot to put on my list of things that happened this year! I got to meet you in person! That was one of the biggest highlights of my year!
I'm so excited for everything that Good will do through your magazine! That was definitely a huge step of faith you took in making it, and it blesses so many people! Can't wait to see all of your plans for it unfold!

Laura Danner
Laura Danner
1/8/2018 7:20:46 PM #

Hello! I came here from your comment on Allison Bontrager's blog! I'm also born in the beginning on February, 2000 (on the 5th)! Have a nice day!
Flowersinmybasket.blogspot.com

1/8/2018 7:36:09 PM #

Hi Laura! Thanks for stopping by.
Whoa, you're only 3 days older than me! I was born on the eighth. That's pretty incredible!
Thanks for commenting. You have a nice day too!

3/15/2018 1:13:32 PM #

YOU ARE READING THE LORD OF THE RINGS?!?!

3/15/2018 1:18:02 PM #

Haha, yep! I'm still on book one because of busyness with school, but I do intend to finish them as soon as possible! Have you read all of them?

3/15/2018 1:27:16 PM #

I have read The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and am currently working on The Return of the King. But I prefer the movies, probably because I grew up with them! Smile I read both the Silmarillion and The Hobbit before they came out with the movie version of The Hobbit... my opinion on that movie trilogy is that it was a complete disaster... The Hobbit only won one Oscar while the Lord of the Rings won 17!!! So outrageous...

How do you like the books?? Do you prefer them to the movies?

3/15/2018 1:35:52 PM #

I don't know yet... I've watched the first two movies and I'm still on the first book. My sister and brother have read all of the books and watched all of the movies of Lord of the Rings and they love both. I'll have to let you know what I think after I've watched/read all of them. ;)
I've only watched the first movie of The Hobbit. My mom and Dad only got through the second... They didn't even want to watch the third one because they were so horrified! I have to admit that I enjoyed watching Bilbo in the movie - the actor was perfect for the part. But otherwise it was wholly incomparable to Lord of the Rings and the book of The Hobbit is waaaay better.

3/15/2018 1:39:51 PM #

Out of curiosity, why were your parents horrified?? Was it a bit too scary or something?

I will look forward to hearing what you think on this subject; and, Martin Freeman did a wonderful job as Bilbo. He had to be my favorite actor in the Hobbit trilogy. PJ stretched the story a bit too terribly... but I still like the movies - just not as much as the book or the Lord of the Rings. ;)

3/15/2018 1:45:19 PM #

They just thought it was ridiculous. I haven't heard much more than that! They'd watched Lord of the Rings many, many times and were far from impressed with The Hobbit.
Yes, me and my siblings who have watched The Hobbit were very impressed with Martin Freeman. But they were not too impressed with the quality of the rest of the movie (we've only watched the first). Lord of the Rings had a lot more effort poured into it and it shows.

3/15/2018 2:30:03 PM #

Did you watch the extended version of Lord of the Rings or the other one?

3/27/2018 7:59:35 AM #

Well, we have the Extended Versions for both The Two Towers and The Return of the King, and the normal versions for The Hobbit movie trilogy and The Fellowship of the Ring.

P.S. Sorry for taking so long to reply!

3/27/2018 10:10:27 AM #

Oh okay. We recently got the extended version for all three.
No problem, no rush. ;)

4/12/2018 11:55:07 AM #

Out of curiosity, do you have a favorite character from the Trilogy?

4/12/2018 3:29:21 PM #

From Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit? My favorite from the LOTR is hands down Merry, and my favorite from the hobbit is definitely Bilbo. I love Gandalf and Aragorn too (correct me if I spelled that wrong...) And I really like Pippin. Do you have a favorite from either?

4/13/2018 6:15:53 PM #

Hi! Sorry to interrupt! I just saw these comments from the sidebar! I LOVE the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings! And my sister is currently reading the books! (She's in Two Towers)

4/13/2018 6:30:31 PM #

Oh really? Welcome to the realm of Tolkien lovers! Haha! Do you have a favorite character from either the Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit? Have you watched the movies, read the books, or both? I've read the Hobbit, I'm reading Lord of the Rings, and I've watched the first movie from the Hobbit and two from Lord of the Rings. ;)

4/14/2018 4:11:42 PM #

I've never read the books, but my sister is! A couple of years ago, I watched part 1+2 of Hobbit (I'm not sure if I watched them completely though), but recently we watched the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit series through. I had never watched Lord of the Rings or the third Hobbit before that (just Lord of the Beans, haha!) As for a favorite, I think I like Tauriel! I know she's technically fake ( she was just made for the movies) but I still like her Laughing And Legolas+Gimli can be funny! (Like when they're counting the people they killed!)

4/14/2018 7:58:25 PM #

Hehe, Lord of the Beans is pretty good too though! XD
Is Tauriel from the movie the Hobbit? I think I've heard of her but I'm not sure.
And yes, Legolas and Gimli are pretty fun! I really liked them too.
My computer doesn't count any of these names as real words. Heresy. ;)
Here's an interesting question for both of you: do either of you have any characters from either Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit, book version or movie version, that is your least favorite or that you don't like?

Laura Danner
Laura Danner
4/15/2018 8:02:57 PM #

Yes! She's an elf with long red hair from The Hobbit! Hmmm. Well I don't like Wormtongue from Lord of the Rings. Or Boromir and Faromir's dad. (Not really sure how to spell them!) But my LEAST favorite person is Alfrid, from The Hobbit. He's in part 2+3 and is HORRIBLE!

What about you?

4/15/2018 9:18:12 PM #

Hmm... As far as disliking characters because of character, yes, I thought that Faramir and Boromir's father Denethor was horrible. There are a few other people that I didn't like but I can't remember their names... XD
As for how the characters were made, I felt that Arwen (that's the one that Aragorn loves, right? Sometimes I get her and Eowyn's names mixed up) could have had a little more character to her... But I still liked her.
In the Hobbit, I liked everyone I saw, but I've only watched the first movie. I felt that the troll king (was that what he was called?) was a little strange though... He was too weird for me to mentally consider him a very serious enemy.

4/16/2018 4:10:33 PM #

I think it's probably the goblin king you're thinking of (in the big place where he met Gollum)Yeah, he was weird..!
I like Arwen too!

4/16/2018 5:02:54 PM #

Oh yes! Couldn't think of the word. XD

4/16/2018 5:04:55 PM #

I'm honestly glad he died in the first movie. He was just big and ugly. He wasn't scary at all!

4/26/2018 5:19:19 PM #

SORRY, I MISSED ALL OF THIS!!! Laura, you like the Lord of the Rings?? ME TOO!!!

Hi, Grace, in answer to your questions: My favorite character in LOTR is Samwise Gamgee. My least favorite characters in LOTR and The Hobbit are most definitely Grima Wormtongue, Tauriel, Thranduil, Legolas (in The Hobbit Movies), Azog the Defiler, Bolg, Sauron, Gollum, Ugluk, Grishnakh, Denethor, Alfrid, the Master of Esgaroth + all of the other villains I forgot to mention.

Lol, Grace, exactly my sentiments! That Goblin King really was a pathetic villain. Smile

4/27/2018 10:11:48 AM #

No problem you missed it. ;)
Yeah, he was pretty pathetic... Not sure why they made him like that. :/ A child could have made a scarier villain.

4/27/2018 4:35:09 PM #

Which of the two LOTR movies have you seen??

4/27/2018 4:40:40 PM #

Me? First and second.

4/27/2018 4:42:35 PM #

And the first of the Hobbit movies.

4/28/2018 11:04:38 AM #

You really ought to watch The Return of the King someday. In my opinion, the greatest movies in the world (listed in order, of course), are:

1. The Return of the King
2. The Fellowship of the Ring
3. The Two Towers

4/28/2018 2:25:56 PM #

Yeah, I really want to watch it... Maybe during break week? We'll see.
So you like Fellowship of the Rings better than the Two Towers?
By the way, if you respond to this, can you start a new comment thread? Because this is getting hard to read... XD

4/14/2018 7:59:51 PM #

One random question: have either of you watched/read any Sherlock Holmes? I've read a couple of the original stories by Arthur Conan Doyle and watched a few of the ones with Jeremy Brett and I've really liked them so far. ;)

Laura Danner
Laura Danner
4/15/2018 8:05:03 PM #

No, I haven't. I think when I was little we used to listen to Sherlock Holmes in the car, but I don't remember it. We have the book though, so maybe I should read it now that I'm older!

4/15/2018 9:22:45 PM #

Yes, you should read them!!! If you do, let me know what you think. ;) The ones I've read were "A Case of Identity" and "The Speckled Band" and I believe another one... Can't remember. But my sister has read them all and has read multiple sections to me and told me a lot about so many of them that I almost feel like I've read more than I have. Sherlock Holmes is definitely on my to-read list for when I finish my paralegal program, which currently consumes the majority of my time. :/
And if you like it, the Granada version (with Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes) has several episodes on youtube. They follow the stories pretty much exactly (often word for word!) but it doesn't make the episodes dry like I previously thought before I had watched the first one.

4/16/2018 9:20:20 AM #

Okay! That's so funny because my sister reads A LOT, a usually tells me all about every book, so I feel like I know so many books that I never actually read! Laughing

4/16/2018 9:53:59 AM #

Haha! Our sisters must be alike!

5/5/2018 8:56:41 PM #

Lol, here's the new thread on our discussion about The Lord of the Rings.

So out of curiosity, why is Merry your favorite character from the trilogy?

5/5/2018 8:58:31 PM #

The Two Towers was great, but the beginning and ending of a story are always the best parts. ;) Plus, The Fellowship of the Ring depicted The Shire... *stares dreamily at nothingness, imagining the beautiful and aforementioned countryside*

WATCH THE RETURN OF THE KING DURING BREAK WEEK, YOU NEED IT!!!

5/5/2018 9:16:16 PM #

Okay. ;) I actually haven't decided which one I like best yet. I did love seeing the Shire though!
Haha, I'll try! I'm sure Daniel and Gail would be more than happy to have me watch it!

5/5/2018 9:13:40 PM #

Hmm, he's just a strong character with lots of personality. He's funny, courageous, thoughtful and spunky. And he's super loyal, which I loved about him. His loyalty to his friends is great. And he's great with Pippin. ;)

5/5/2018 9:45:03 PM #

Here's an interesting question: what character from Lord of the Rings do you think you're most like?

5/6/2018 4:00:40 PM #

Well, as I am of the INFP personality, and it has been determined that Frodo Baggins is of the same personality, I think I would have to say Frodo! Some say that Arwen is also an INFP... Unfortunately.

5/6/2018 4:11:14 PM #

Funny, same here - I'm very INFP-T. The interesting thing is that it's said that Tolkien was also an INFP.
I didn't know people said Arwen was INFP. Why do you say unfortunately? Do you disagree then? I feel that at least so far I haven't really seen enough of her to determine her personality...

5/7/2018 12:11:20 PM #

Well, Arwen was a fine character in most ways, I suppose. But almost whenever she showed up on screen, she would be doing something romantic. So...

Lol, I am an INFP-T too!! We share the same personality type with each other and J.R.R. Tolkien! How interesting!

5/7/2018 2:14:39 PM #

Yeah, I noticed that about Arwen... I wish they had portrayed a little more of her character in the movies instead.
Yes, very interesting! I hadn't realized you were an INFP. Smile