Identity Focus Part 1: Introduction

by Grace 14. March 2018 11:43

Hello everyone!

Here's the beginning to the first series... I know you all have been waiting!

The title of the first series is called "Identity Focus". I'm anticipating somewhere around eleven posts in this series, so it's gonna be pretty long.

So... What's up with this series? What exactly is it about?

Well, we find in the Bible that we're to get our identity from Christ. His righteousness is imputed to us (2 Corinthians 5:21, Phillipians 3:9, Romans 4:22-24). We are the bride of Christ (Revelation 19:7-9). We are children of God (Romans 18:16).

This series is about some things that take our focus off of our identity as believers in Christ.

Why is it so important to remember our identity?

1. Who we are in Christ is our only hope
As the song goes, "In Christ Alone my hope is found." We only have hope when we are covered by the blood of Christ. We only have hope when He changes us and give us a new identity.

2. When God looks at us, He sees His Son and declares us innocent
As another song says, "When You look at me, You see the nail-scarred hands that bought my liberty - I stand redeemed." When God looks at the believer, he sees the righteousness of His Son that was imputed to him (2 Corinthians 5:21). This is where our Salvation lies - our identity in Christ. Righteouss. Holy. Set apart. It's important to understand a little more clearly who we are so we know who to be. Imagine not being sure who you were and acting like an enemy to the king in a castle - when you were actually His son or daughter!

To wrap things up for this week:

1. For anyone who may be wondering, I will be using KJV most if not all of the time I quote a verse.

2. If you disagree with anything I've said or have something to add, voice your opinion! Just make sure to do so in a respectful manner. As believers, it's good to have discussion, especially with things that we disagree with. Not arguments. DISCUSSION. It helps us to recognize what we truly believe in and can help us learn deeper truths.

3. Spread the word! Invite friends and/or family to join us on this journey! The ride will be fun and, I'm praying, insightful.

4. I'll have a resource section at the end of each post in this series where I'll post resources (songs, verses, videos, books, lyrics, other things) that relate to what we talked about. There might not be much, and sometimes maybe nothing. Sometimes whatever I share down there may be what was down there for the past 3 weeks. But sometimes there may be something down there. ;) If you all have anything to share, comment and let us all know! Don't keep it to yourself!

P.S. If I share lyrics and there happens to be a recording of the song, I most likely haven't listened to it so I can't verify that it's worth your listening in my opinion. Just sayin'. :)

I'm not defined by what others say

Or by the standards of the day

I am defined by my faith in Jesus

And what he's done for all of us

I won't judge my worth by how I feel

'Cause what I feel often isn't real

I get my worth in Christ alone

The greatest status ever known

- Verses 1 and 4 of Looking Higher, Reaching Farther

Resources:

I Stand Redeemed - Song

When You Look at Me - Song

Looking Higher, Reaching Farther - Lyrics

In Christ Alone - Lyrics

Did you enjoy the first part of Identity Focus? Are you looking forwards to the Family Life series starting next week? Did you look at any of the resources listed? If you did, which ones did you enjoy? Have you seen any of them before? Do you have any resources that are related to this topic to add?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

3/14/2018 1:59:02 PM #

I enjoyed this! I just posted on my blog today, but next time I do, I'll post about this! In Christ Alone is one of my FAVORITE SONGS! In fact, it's on the Wissmann "Let my Life be a Light" CD! And I like "I stand Redeemed" too!

3/14/2018 4:51:21 PM #

I'm glad you liked it! Thanks for being willing to share with your readers! Yes, I saw your post today - it was good. Laughing
Oh, I didn't know they sang that song on their CD. That's pretty neat. I'm glad you enjoyed "I Stand Redeemed"!

J.S. Klingemann
J.S. Klingemann
3/15/2018 1:04:38 PM #

I love the song "In Christ Alone." A most interesting fact about it is that it is an Irish hymn, albeit also contemporary. I think it makes it to #3 on my "Favorite Hymns List."

3/15/2018 1:28:01 PM #

Oh, that's interesting! I didn't know it was Irish. I did know it was a contemporary hymn though. I love that song - the words are powerful and it has a rich melody.

J.S. Klingemann
J.S. Klingemann
3/15/2018 1:31:40 PM #

It is beautiful... *sigh*

3/15/2018 2:06:24 PM #

Smile

3/15/2018 1:39:16 PM #

Ahhhh, "In Christ Alone" is one of my favorite hymns!  It is true that the Getty's band is contemporary, but their hymns themselves are beautiful.  We sing them at church like we would any other hymn -- using organ, piano, and orchestral instruments.  No electric guitars or drums or anything like that. ;)

Random bit of unnecessary information: The Getty's also wrote "Still, My Soul, Be Still," which my dad and I and another father/daughter duo sang for church on Sunday! Tong

Do you know the song His Robes for Mine?  It's another one of my very favorites, written by Chris Anderson.  He is another amazing hymn-writer. Smile  Anyway, the last verse says, "He as though I, accursed and left alone.  I as though He, embraced and welcomed home."  I thought about it while reading through your second point.  (One of these days I'll get a video of His Robes for Mine up on YouTube. ;)

Anyway, thanks Grace for writing this post and kicking off the series!  I look forward to all of the posts yet to come. Smile

3/15/2018 2:05:38 PM #

Yes, whenever we do any song at our church, it's piano and sometimes cello. There used to be an organ, but it broke down. *Cries*
I've never heard "Still, My Soul, Be Still" before. Do you have a video of you all singing it? Sounds like so much fun! Wish I was there to hear it!!! I'll have to look up the song and see if I can find it.
Yessss, I love His Robes for Mine! Those words are beautiful and also extremely relevant to the topic. I'll have to see if I can find the lyrics to that song to post next time I do Identity Focus. There's also another song I meant to post this time but I forgot. Frown That'll have to wait until week after next too. And I CAN'T WAIT to hear your next YouTube video! Do you have any form of recording equipment (even a simple recorder?) Someday you need to make a CD with some songs on it so that I can buy one!!! Or, if you come down here, you and I can make a CD together... ;)
Glad you enjoyed the first of the series! Laughing

3/15/2018 2:35:53 PM #

Well I don't really like the organ that much so.... xD  But cello and piano must sound beautiful together!!  (And the organ isn't there to overpower it...) Tong  We have a couple cellists at our church, but they don't play in orchestra usually unless they have offertory Frown  Our consistent orchestra instruments are violin (1-3), *sometimes* viola, flute (1), clarinet (1-2), trumpet (2), trombone (1) , and French horn (1).  Then we have main ("first") piano, second piano, and organ.  One of these days I'm gonna play erhu for church and shock everyone. xD
Yes, I do have a video of our ensemble singing Still, My Soul, Be Still!  I can attempt emailing it to you but I think it's too long :/
We do have a small recorder (about the size of a TV remote, probably smaller) and that's how I've recorded CDs in the past, but we have no professional recording equipment or anything.  I'd love to learn how to set up a personal recording studio, and/or have one of my siblings learn videography to use for my YouTube videos.  Smile  Maybe one day...
Oh yes, one of these years we'll need to get together and make a CD! ;)

3/15/2018 2:54:00 PM #

Aw, you don't like organ? Frown I loved it together with the piano and cello. ;)
Wow, that's a lot of instruments! I bet it all sounds beautiful. And when you play erhu for your church, record it! I wanna hear!!!
The recording might be too long... But you can try anyways if you get a chance. Smile I'd love to hear it!
We have a little recorder that size too. That's what we recorded our first two CDs on. Ya know, using audacity, you and I could probably make a CD together long-distance... ;) That would be pretty cool.

3/15/2018 3:01:54 PM #

OK, so I just attempted sending the whole thing, and it was too long.  So I sent half of it.  It hasn't bounced back yet so let me know if you get it! Smile

3/15/2018 3:03:32 PM #

I didn't say this in the email, but in case you couldn't tell, from left to right, we are: Taylor (soprano), me (alto), my dad (bass), Tay's dad (tenor) Smile

3/15/2018 3:15:50 PM #

Alrighty, thanks!

3/15/2018 3:15:34 PM #

I got it!!! I'll let you know when I've watched it!

3/16/2018 10:23:05 AM #

Yay!  I'm so glad it went through! Smile

3/16/2018 10:37:01 AM #

Me too!!! Laughing

3/16/2018 7:01:48 PM #

I loved this and totally agreed with it, it's so important to know who we are in Christ, we are precious, redeemed, loved, cherished, princesses and princes, adored, and SO much more! I'm definitely excited for this series and the family one! Laughing

3/16/2018 7:31:17 PM #

Yay! Glad you liked it so much and so happy to hear you're so excited!!! Love you Twinsie. ;)

<<  July 2019  >>