Liebster Award!

by Grace 30. April 2018 12:45

Hey Everyone!

I was tagged by Grace over at Grace Notes, and then I was tagged again by Beth over at This Redeemed Girl for the liebster award. Pretty exciting, huh? Tags are so fun to do!!!

Here are the rules for the Liebster Award:

1 – Thank the blog that nominated you and include a Liebster Award graphic (I took mine from Alyssa’s blog).
2 – Answer the questions the blogger gave you.
3 – Share some random fun-facts about yourself.
4 – Nominate as many other blogs you can/want to, and inform them of the nomination.
5 – Give your nominees questions to answer (aim for somewhere in between 8 and 11).

Without further ado, here are my answers to their questions.

Grace's Questions:

1 – What is your favorite topic to blog about?

Ooh, this is a hard question. I probably enjoy posting songs/poetry I've written most so far, but I really enjoy posting other things too. ;)

2 – Share a person example of the evidence of God’s hand at work in your life (can be a recent example or something in the past).

He gave me the money to finish up with my schooling in a way that came unexpectedly and surprised me! He’s also helping me to have more faith in Him and trust Him, even when I don’t see the way or don’t think His plans align with mine. There are so many things I’ve been clinging onto for years, but I’m learning to let them go, one by one, into the hands of Jesus. ;)

3 – What is one random thing on your bucket list?

Hmm... Sing a solo onstage from any song I've written in front of an audience. :D That sounds pretty fun, huh? Who here enjoys performing in front of an audience? It's probably easier for me than being involved in a large group conversation. I'm an introvert...

4 – What would be your favorite dinner + dessert menu?

Taco salad and ice-cream!!!

5 – Which vacation would you choose: mountain cabin, beachfront cottage, amusement park, or a landmark that intrigues you?

Hmm... Either beachfront cottage or mountain cabin. I love the beach and I love getting in the water, but a mountain cabin sounds more adventurous and I love hiking around and spending time in the wild.

6 – Describe yourself with five words.

What??? But how??? Adventurous, spontaneous, reserved, musical, creative...

7 – What is your dream instrument?

Hmm... Mandolin, viola, double bass, banjo, cello, or piano. Sorry, not very specific... If I were to narrow it down, I'd probably say mandolin or cello since I already play violin which is similar to the viola and I've played double bass, banjo, and piano before and we have a piano and a banjo. Probably mandolin because I think I like that better than the cello.

8 – Three Bible verses that are special to you?

Romans 5:20, Psalm 23, Hebrews 11. Passages count, right? If not let me know and I'll give you specific verses. Hahaha! It's hard to narrow it down to 3 single verses!

9 – Fun inside joke?

Ooh… This is a hard one… specifically because the ones that are constantly repeated are the ones that I can’t share! Haha! We constantly say jokes related to Sherlock Holmes (we’ve watched some of both Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett). My sister asked me to do a Sherlock Holmes impersonation last night. That was funny! Don’t know how I did… And sometimes we may attempt to use British accents… That doesn’t work well either. Haha!

10 – Favorite resource (book, blog, movie, etc.)?

I love the book "The Call" by Os Guiness. I'd wholeheartedly recommend that book to ANYONE! And the movie "On the Shoulders of Giants" is really good. And my parents are also AMAZING resources. Just sayin’. ;)

Beth's Questions:

1: What is your favorite book of the Bible?

Um… Romans, Hebrews, Psalms, Proverbs… Something like that. Sorry! I love them all!

2: What is your favorite story from the Bible?

Hmm… I’ve always loved hearing about Jesus coming to life again and the story of Ruth, and the creation account has always left me filled with awe of our God.

3: What's your favorite childhood memory?

Ahh! These are hard questions!!! Maybe my thirteenth birthday??? My parents threw me a surprise birthday party and I was totally not expecting it.

4: What is your favorite movie?

I don’t know… I love “On the Shoulders of Giants”, Lord of the Rings (although I’ve only watched the first two), and I love watching Sherlock Holmes… The Granada series or the Basil Rathbone series (I don’t know what they’re called… Abigail, help me out here!!!).

5: What was/is your favorite subject in school?

I LOVED my Faith and Vocation course in my paralegal program.

6: Have you ever written a book?

Oh, and here comes the shocker that only two people that I can think of probably know – yes, I have written a book. One that I ACTUALLY finished. It was a 113-page novel and honestly had some potential. However, it needs the BIGGEST rewrite you could ever imagine… I might do that sometime in my life. But if it doesn’t get done somewhere throughout the year of 2019, I can’t see myself finishing it. But I would like to write a book or two sometime… Some sort of devotional, a book of poetry, and possibly a book set in WW2. Who knows. We’ll see.

7: What's your favorite novel and why?

Ah! I DON’T KNOW!!! To tell the truth though, I haven’t read many novels recently… I’ve done PLENTY of reading, but I’ve mostly been reading “Legal Research and Writing for Paralegals” and “Basic Wills, Trusts and Estates for Paralegals” and things that generally fall under that topic. Probably "Alone Yet Not Alone" by Tracy Leininger.

8: What is something just wow God has done for you?

He put me in a free country. That’s something we all kind of take for granted here in America, especially with our tumultuous politics and with things going downhill. But we’re still in a place where we can worship God freely! That’s what’s most important!

Grace, Beth, if I missed any of your questions, let me know! XD I very well might have.

Random fun facts:

1. I always wear socks and shoes. I wear them inside and outside and I wear socks to bed. I do occasionally go barefoot outside if I’m playing volleyball or something similar, but otherwise, I keep socks and shoes on at all times.

2. I love volleyball.

3. I’M A COLD PERSON. The event staff crew that I work with (I’m related to half of them probably… XD) make fun of me all the time as I’ve been known to wear a coat on an 80 degree day…

4. I’ve been known all my life for liking just about everything when it comes to food. There’s one exception. Bell peppers. *cringes*

5. I tend to view disliking things as a disadvantage (you don’t know how many times I’ve tried to like bell peppers…)

6. One of my biggest (and most irrational) fears is that someday I’ll come across a friend that I love but haven’t seen for a year or so and they won’t remember me. (Only happened once I think…)

7. I’ve only been in Oregon and Washington. However, I’m *hoping* to take a road trip to KY this year to visit some of my best friends who just moved out of OR. Honestly, over the past year, so many of my friends have just up and left the state. So sad. *Cries* Perhaps someday I’ll take a huuuuge road trip with some siblings and we’ll go visit all of my pen-pals and our friends who have moved away and attend every concert we can. XD

8. I personally don’t enjoy most Christian Contemporary music that much. Sorry to all my CCM loving friends/family/readers…

9. I’ve (somewhat recently) become a fan of Sherlock Holmes (not Sherlock… I haven’t watched BBC’s show before). I usually don’t watch anything besides documentaries, creationist science videos, and history related videos. Lord of the Rings and Sherlock Holmes are currently two exceptions to my norm. ;)

10. I really want to learn how to play mandolin! I know a little, but I’d like to get really good at it. It’s one of my favorite instruments. I love the violin/fiddle, but I can’t sing while I play that!!! If anyone reading this plays mandolin and knows of good resource for learning how to I’d love to hear about them!

Alright, who to tag... So many bloggers I know of have already been double-tagged and may not appreciate a retag... Hmm...

I nominate:

Lydia @ Noveltea

Abby Rose @ Truly Beautiful

J.S. Clingman @ Clingman Photography

Stephanie @ The Enchanting Rose

Here are my questions:

Favorite author?

Three favorite quotes, phrases, or sayings?

Do you play instruments? If so, what instruments?

How many siblings do you have?

Outside or inside?

Favorite genre of music and least favorite?

Someone you would really like to meet in person someday (doesn’t have to be a celebrity ;)

Favorite meal?

3 favorite Bible passages/chapters? (I’m not one of those cruel people who tell you to pick 1 verse… ;)

Favorite music album?

Favorite pastime?

If I tagged you and you can't do this tag, that's fine! And if you were hoping to be tagged but weren't, go ahead and do it anyways. ;)

One last thing... I have a 1 YEAR BLOGVERSARY COMING UP!!! Any suggestions as to what to do to celebrate? Giveaway? Contest? Blog party? Q+A? Video??? (Hehe...)

In addition, I'd love to hear from you all what types posts you've enjoyed the most here and what y'all would like to see on here in the future. Thanks for all of your support! You all are awesome!!!!!!

What are your answers to some of these questions? What do you think I should do to celebrate my one-year-blogversary? What posts would you like to see more of in the future?

Tags: , , , , , ,

Gail Helland
Gail Helland
4/30/2018 1:43:27 PM #

Thank you, Grace, for not going into too much detail about our inside jokes. And for the record, her British accent was a valiant effort. But her "bored Sherlock" impersonation was even better.
And whenever you need to know the name of a Sherlock Holmes movie or series, I'm always here. But you got it about right.

4/30/2018 2:14:13 PM #

Your welcome... That was as much for me as it was for you! Hehe... ;)
Haha, I'm glad somebody appreciated my efforts!!! Now I wanna see you do an impersonation!
Oh okay, about right is pretty good.

4/30/2018 2:39:40 PM #

Haha I totally get the whole inside jokes being completely top secret xD  My brothers and I have some of those... ;)
Between me and a brother and a good friend, "Good luck!" is actually an inside joke xD  For Resurrection Sunday, Jesse and our friend sang a duet.   During our practice, she made a mistake singing and whispered "sorry."  Whereupon we all start laughing and they miss their next entrance.  Then on the next run through, we all *very seriously* agreed to not say anything during our run-through.  Just as she was about to enter though, I couldn't help myself and hollered (from the piano), "Good luck!"  And we all died laughing.  When they walked up to do the real deal though on Sunday morning, most people probably thought they were scared to death since neither had sang for church in such a small group -- with solo parts in the piece-- and Jesse especially does not like performing.  What our congregation didn't know though, was that they were literally thinking, "DON'T LAUGH.  DON'T LAUGH."  I threatened beforehand to text my friend "Good luck" but thankfully for everyone, I didn't.  And everything went well.  Besides me dropping the music near the end... but I somehow managed to catch it with one hand and put it back on the rack without dropping out!  You can actually hear a recording of their duet on YouTube!  I think I shared a link in one of my recent posts... it's the link to He is the Christ. ;)
Anyway, I'm rambling...

Thanks so much for doing the Liebster award!!  So happy to see this!  And wow, I learned a lot of new things about you in your fun facts especially!

*High fives* for not being obsessed with CCM, for loving taco salad and ice cream, and for enjoying performing!  I've never really been one to shy away from the spot light.  My brothers tease that I bask in it...Tong

Congratulations on your 1 year blogversary coming up!!  That's a wonderful milestone!  I'd personally LOVE to see a music video from you with possibly your siblings too if y'all are up to it.  An arrangement of one of your songs Smile

4/30/2018 6:36:20 PM #

Haha! I think probably all close siblings have some of *those inside jokes*.
Ah that's so funny!!! I remember when me, Daniel and two friends of us sang a song together. The memories were awesome! I can still remember us trying to use candy canes off of the tree as microphones... Haha! We ended with multiple broken candy canes. Enough said. ;)
Thanks for tagging me! It was super fun!! Curious... Which points from the fun facts did you not know? ;)
*High fives* haha! You and I have a LOT of large similarities. ;)
Thanks! I'm super excited about it!
Ooh, I don't know Grace. I'll talk to my siblings about it and see. XD

4/30/2018 8:13:06 PM #

Oh haha candy canes for pretend microphones must've been fun ;)
I didn't know 1, 4-7, or 9 actually!  (And I have no clue how you can stand sleeping in socks!  I can't stand sleeping in socks.  I don't like wearing them during the day as it is!)  Of course I knew 2, 8 and 10 Smile
Pretty pllleeeaaaassseee?  With lots of taco salads and ice cream on top?? Smile  I really want to hear you play or sing!  Or here's another idea for your blogversary: start a YouTube channel ;)

4/30/2018 9:45:25 PM #

Yes, they were good while they lasted... 5 minutes at the most, in a very literal sense. XD
Haha, I have some siblings who agree with you about the socks in bed thing, haha!
Ooh, I haven't tried ice-cream on top of my taco salad... Hehe!
Oh, I don't know... We'll see what I'm able to manage with my schedule! Haha!

4/30/2018 7:42:32 PM #

Oh, and thanks for tagging me. Smile

4/30/2018 7:14:23 PM #

I loved hearing all of your answers, they were fun to read! Smile I love "Alone Yet Not Alone' so much too, it's an epic book! And haha, Josh and I love doing British accents too, lol! I don't know how good we are though... Tong You should totally go on that roadtrip around the country, and you would have to visit me!!! Laughing

4/30/2018 7:15:40 PM #

And oh my goodness how did I forget to say CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ONE YEAR BLOGAVERSARY!!!! EEK! I'm so happy for you, I love your blog. Smile Any of the options you mentioned would be so fun, but what Grace F. said would be really cool too! What do you think you'll do? Laughing

4/30/2018 7:24:18 PM #

I'm glad you liked reading my answers! Yes, "Alone Yet Not Alone" is amazing! Haha, I didn't know you two liked British accents too! Next time we see each other we'll have to spend our visit speaking in British accents over cups of tea. ;)
And yes, if I took a road trip around the country, I'd definitely have to stop and visit you!!! I owe you a visit since you visited me. ;)
Awe, thanks!!! I'm so excited too!!! I'm not sure what I'll do... I was joking a little about the video, but now I'm starting to take it into serious consideration... I'll have to see what I can do!
By the way, LOVE your new profile picture!!! When'd you change it?

5/3/2018 10:23:46 PM #

Haha, that would be so funny! We could have a "high tea"! Tong That would be hilarious, really, haha!
Aww, yes, you WOULD have to visit me! We'd have the best of times, wouldn't we? Smile
Why thank you, I actually changed my profile pic last week, I'm so glad you like it! I took it myself. Laughing

5/3/2018 10:41:47 PM #

Haha! That would be too hilarious!
You took that picture yourself??? Is soooo good!!!

Beth H.
Beth H.
4/30/2018 7:36:49 PM #

YAY!!! You did the tag!!! GReat post and answers! I enjoyed it!! As far as what post to do, do whatever you feel God called and inspired!!! And I think you should do a Q&A video!!!!

4/30/2018 7:41:45 PM #

Thanks Beth! Glad you liked it, and thanks for tagging me! It was fun to do.
Thanks for your suggestions! Super excited for whatever I end up doing!

Laura Danner
Laura Danner
5/1/2018 12:49:41 PM #

This was fun to read! It'd be really neat if you did a q+a video! (Or any of those ideas!)

5/1/2018 2:31:09 PM #

Glad you enjoyed it, Laura! And thanks for your suggestion! From the sounds of it, everyone wants a video of some sort... ;)

5/2/2018 11:00:16 AM #

Hi Grace, thanks for the nomination! I will respond to it as soon as I can! ;)

5/2/2018 11:09:37 AM #

No problem! Glad you're able to do it! No rush. ;)

5/5/2018 8:11:01 PM #

Lol, you don't seem to know too many movies. ;)

5/5/2018 8:32:56 PM #

Nope! My movie knowledge is extremely limited... I've seen less than I know of, haha!

5/5/2018 8:13:23 PM #

Faith and Vocation was a pretty interesting course... I did love that "Leaf by Niggle" story! J.R.R. Tolkien is an excellent writer!

5/5/2018 8:34:33 PM #

Yes, it was! I was glad that it was incorporated into the course.  I printed it out and stuck it on the bookshelf once but it got lost... I guess that's what happens when you put a tiny paper book on a shelf in a house of ten kids! Haha!

5/5/2018 9:11:05 PM #

Lol, I guess so. ;)

5/5/2018 8:15:36 PM #

What sort of book did you write?

I once wrote a book; albeit a very boring and amateurish one. It was a fantasy novel, and I wrote it on OpenOffice Writer (18 pt. type, 212 pages).

Just thought you might like to know...

5/5/2018 8:37:30 PM #

It was a story about a family with 10 kids (I think?) and their cousins next door (a significantly smaller family I believe) and the larger family receives threats to get off of their land. It had more to it but I'm bad at summarizing, haha!
What was your book about?

5/5/2018 9:10:30 PM #

Oh, it was about two kids who go out on an adventure looking for the "missing book" (i.e., the Bible of their world) that had been lost for centuries.

I am afraid I will confuse you and lead you to more questions if I say anything more. ;)

That sounds like an interesting story. If you write a lot, perhaps you can post some of your writings on Wattpad.com (a social-media type website where writers of all kinds congregate to share their own writings and read others). There are some bad books out there, but I have met quite a few great people while on that site! Apparently, you would have a gigantic audience. Just a thought...

5/5/2018 9:27:36 PM #

Haha, I'll be satisfied with what information you've given me. Haha! Sounds interesting to me though. ;)
Hm, interesting thought. I would like to pick writing up a little more, but it would definitely have to wait until near the end of summer when I finish my paralegal course. :/ Haha! We'll see. ;)

5/6/2018 3:46:24 PM #

Lol, same here. Smile

5/5/2018 8:17:12 PM #

We are truly blessed to live in America. It is an amazing place, and normally, the most horrible thing that can happen to us out here is not the most horrible thing that can happen to folk in other countries. God has blessed us abundantly. ;)

5/5/2018 8:41:22 PM #

Amen!!! Even with all of the freedom we have had stripped away over the past years, we still have soooo much of it. Right now we mainly have to deal with the mocking of those who disagree with us rather than actual persecution, which, in comparison with what people in other countries deal with, is not bad at all.
How were you able to italicize your words??? I have no idea how to do that and I've been trying to find out for a while...

5/5/2018 9:07:32 PM #

Well, it seems as though whenever I post a comment that there are four options to the upper right... One is a button with a "b" which stands for bold; the other is "i" which stands for italic; the third is "u" which stands for underline; and the last is "quote." All are blue link-type buttons. They shouldn't be too hard to find. ;)

I agree, by the way, with all that you said above. Smile

5/5/2018 9:39:11 PM #

Let me see if I have this figured out now... bold italicize underline.

5/5/2018 9:39:45 PM #

Hm... Doesn't work on here for some reason... Oh well!

5/6/2018 3:44:46 PM #

Lol, sorry about that! Smile

5/7/2018 12:14:01 PM #

Wait a bit! I think I can solve your problem... Here, whenever I click the "i" for italic button, these tags appear:
You are supposed to put the words you want italicized in between those two tags.
For bold:
For underline:

5/7/2018 12:14:34 PM #

Whoops! That didn't work... I suppose I'll just have to email you about how it all works! Smile

5/7/2018 2:15:10 PM #

Alright thanks haha!

5/7/2018 11:44:01 PM #

Okay... bold italicize underline.

5/7/2018 11:44:18 PM #

Yay! I did it! Thanks! ;)

5/5/2018 8:17:53 PM #

Cooked bell peppers, tomatoes, onions, and celery generally do not appeal to me.

5/5/2018 8:42:14 PM #

Haha, you're the first person who hasn't told me that I'm crazy for not liking bell peppers! I like tomatoes, onions and celery though. ;)

5/5/2018 9:02:59 PM #

The former statement is nice, but the latter statement... JUST BE CAREFUL YOU MAY CHOKE ONE DAY!

5/5/2018 9:41:41 PM #

Hahaha!

5/7/2018 12:14:57 PM #

Oh, and mushrooms are seen as virtually inedible by me. ;)

5/7/2018 2:11:43 PM #

Haha! I like mushrooms... I've been known to like or at least tolerate all foods except for bell peppers... ;)

5/5/2018 8:20:03 PM #

Contemporary music is rather unappealing... if I listen to Christian music, I would pick a hymn. Especially the Irish ones.

And I LOVE Celtic music....

And the Lord of the Rings Complete Recordings...

5/5/2018 8:45:56 PM #

Glad to find someone with the same view of contemporary music as I do, haha! Same here, I love hymns. What are some of your favorites? I haven't heard much celtic music but what I have heard I like. ;)
Ah, of course, should've known... Of course anything Lord of the Rings for you! Haha!

5/5/2018 9:05:01 PM #

My two favorite hymns are most definitely "Be Thou My Vision" and "Before the Throne of God Above." Both are Irish and both are amazing. I have known the former since I was little, and it always struck me as inspiring and so, so beautiful. The latter is the same. ;)

Lol, of course! The Lord of the Rings trilogy had a next-to-perfection score, excellent acting, directing, and cinematography. I doubt anything surpasses it. Smile

5/5/2018 9:32:17 PM #

"Be Thou my Vision" and "Before the Throne of God Above" are some of my favorites too. Didn't know they were Irish though. ;) I also love the songs "Be Still My Soul" and "There Is a Fountain".
Haha! Lord of the Rings IS pretty amazing!

5/5/2018 8:22:06 PM #

It is a good thing that you have at least watched two movies of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy... Every other movie pales in comparison to those three, so I can assure you that you're not missing out on much (too much).

Although, I do happen to like the Chronicles of Narnia movie adaptations, and the Peanuts movie... and a few others that completely escaped my mind momentarily.

5/5/2018 8:49:36 PM #

Haha! Okay, glad to know I'm not missing out on too much... ;) I do know I need to watch "Return of the King".
I don't know what the Peanuts movie is... Maybe you could enlighten me??? I HAVE watched the three Chronicles of Narnia movies though and I really enjoyed those, although Prince Caspian wasn't the best movie I've seen...

5/5/2018 9:02:14 PM #

Lol, Prince Caspian ruined approximately three characters (although there may be more): Susan, Prince Caspian, and Peter. They all argued too much. And that ridiculous made-up romance between Caspian and Susan was, well... ridiculous. The score was pretty good, though, and I think it was a fine movie overall. The Silver Chair is still in the works, and they hope to start shooting in late 2018 or 2019.

The Peanuts Movie was on the comic strips by Charles M. Schulz about this lonely kid named Charlie Brown and his nutty friend Linus who pulls his blanket wherever he goes (plus the whole Peanuts gang). It was a funny and touching movie. I could feel for poor Charlie Brown as he did everything wrong when he was trying to do everything right. And there was a happy ending. What more could I want from a story? ;)

5/5/2018 9:37:35 PM #

Amen to that!!! Didn't like any of those three!!! Peter and Caspian kinda were jerks... And yeah, the whole thing between Caspian and Susan... Yuck. Lol. Yes, I heard The Silver Chair was in the works, and I REALLY hope they get it right because that's one of my favorites from the Narnia series. ;)
Oh oh okay I've watched a little bit of Charlie Brown! Haha I just didn't know what the movie was called. I've seen A Charlie Brown Christmas and random clips of him. ;)
Haha, sounds like a pretty great storyline! ;)

5/5/2018 8:23:18 PM #

How about Q+A? Or a blog party? (It sounds fun, but I actually have no idea what that could be). ;)

5/5/2018 8:51:38 PM #

Thanks for the suggestions!
Haha, a blog party is just when I'd set a date and time and anyone who wants to join in comes and we basically have a conversation in the comments. ;)

5/5/2018 8:54:46 PM #