What do YOU believe?

by Grace 3. May 2018 21:47

Today I found out that a lady I know abandoned her faith.

To say the least, I was shocked.

As I listened to several of her family/friends discussing it, an important truth was brought up:

YOU NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOU BELIEVE.

What your parents told you growing up is not enough. What your pastor teaches is not enough. You need to know what you believe and why you believe it or else you won't be strong enough to resist when the devil lies to you. You need to be grounded in the truth or you will be swept off your feet. You need to have a relationship with God and know Him and his attributes or else you will question and doubt Him and loose faith.

Your parents' and pastor's beliefs won't do you any good if you don't understand them. Don't live your life assuming they're right because that's how you grew up. NO. Dig in yourself. Figure out the truth. Don't stop until you've found it... Your life for all eternity depends upon it. Don't be a lukewarm Christian. Be passionate, and live your life fully for Christ or not at all. The Bible says that exceedingly bad things are in store for apostates (Hebrews 10:19-39) and lukewarm Christians (Revelation 3:15-16).

Ask your friends:

WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE?

Parents, make your children think:

WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE?

Siblings, challenge eachother:

WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE???

We don't have forever to get it figured out. Temptation will come and lead us astray if we do not TRULY know what we believe.

So I now ask you:

WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE???

***Please take the time to share a link to this post through text or email or take the time to ask your friends and family this! Souls are too precious to be left to wander without considering this question!!!***

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Beth jane
Beth jane
5/3/2018 10:18:33 PM #

Amen! So true! Makes me know I need to dig Into what I believe! And have scripture to back it! I'll share this! Can I share in Instagram too?

5/3/2018 10:31:26 PM #

Yes, all of us really need to study the word. The best of us are still susceptible to the wiles of the devil.
Of course you can share it on instagram! Share it wherever you like. Smile Thanks for being willing to!

5/3/2018 10:21:18 PM #

So true, this is of utmost importance!

5/3/2018 10:32:41 PM #

Definitely! Nothing is more important than knowing that you truly know the Lord. Smile

5/4/2018 6:31:40 AM #

This is so true.  Knowing what you believe is a subject I am passionate about as well.  Back in 2016 on our NY mission trip I listened to a conversation where the pastor directly challenged one of us teens to figure out what he believed, and in doing so he also challenged the rest of us.  It was convicting!

For anyone seeking to dig deeper into their beliefs and strengthen their faith, I would encourage you to read The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel.  It is one of the best books I have ever read.

Next time I blog I will make sure I link back to this post, if that is OK with you. Smile

5/4/2018 6:06:20 PM #

Direct challenge is good. Us young people tend to really be slackers when it comes to studying the word of God and really getting down to the nitty gritty of what we believe because we're too busy trying to enjoy ourselves. :/
Thanks for the book recommendation! And thank you for linking back to this post! Just saw that. ;)

Alyssa
Alyssa
5/4/2018 8:05:56 AM #

Awesome post, Grace! I totally agree!!!

5/4/2018 6:06:39 PM #

Thanks Alyssa! Glad you do. ;)

5/4/2018 10:06:33 AM #

That's really sad! I'll pray for her! I remember a while ago there was a blogger who announced she was no longer a Christian. That was really sad too. At least we know that it's not too late (for now!) God can save the people who are completely against Him (like Paul!) But yes, it really is so important to be strongly rooted and grounded in Him! Thanks for sharing

5/4/2018 6:11:46 PM #

Thank you for your prayers, Laura! I'm praying for her too. It is sooo sad when someone turns away from and rejects the truth - maybe even more sad than having never known at all.
Yes, THANK GOD there is still hope for her and for many others who don't have true salvation. Our God is such a merciful God!
Glad to share! Thanks for reading. Happy to hear you enjoyed it. ;)

The Chloe Blog
The Chloe Blog
5/4/2018 1:16:26 PM #

Thank you for sharing! It is so important to know what we believe, especially in today's world!
God Bless you!

5/4/2018 6:12:33 PM #

Amen! Yes, it certainly is very important!!! God bless you too. ;)

Bethany Carson
Bethany Carson
5/4/2018 8:20:49 PM #

Thanks for the challenge grace! It is very important to be able to say like Paul, "I know whom I have believed." Pretty much nothing shocks me anymore about how people change...

5/4/2018 8:38:20 PM #

Your welcome! Yes, SO important. You won't doubt His existence for long if you truly know Him. The times when we as believers begin to struggle and lose sight of God's presence we need to get closer to Him and bury ourselves in His word for comfort, assurance and affirmation.
It's so sad that people change so drastically so fast. It was stunning to me this time, but I'm afraid that as I get older and experience more I'll see it happening much more often. :'(

J.S. Klingemann
J.S. Klingemann
5/5/2018 8:30:58 PM #

Great blog post, Grace. I must say, this is rather interesting. I found myself answering this question only a day ago, when I wrote to a person who didn't believe (I still feel sorry for him). Anyhow, this is what I said:

"I believe there must be a God for life to have formed at all. A pot does not form itself, as "The Big Bang" Theory would suggest; and if some clay cannot form itself into a simple thing such as a pot, then how can a dot explode and form life? Some people believe that God is terrible for letting bad things happen in this world. But that is not so. First of all, God did not let evil into this world; rather, it was through the sinful act of the first Man and Woman that sin and bad things entered into this world. They had violated the Law, and therefore had to live with the consequences (i.e., live alongside sin and evil in the world). That was the first act of insurrection against God, but by no means the last. Rather, everyone has sinned, and therefore "fallen short of the glory of God" (The Law ordained by the Creator at the very beginning). Therefore, all of humanity deserves the consequences that come with disobedience to the Law, namely, death and suffering and eternal separation from God and all things good (Hell). Take for example, a person who has murdered a victim; this hypothetical character has been captured by the police and has been taken before the jury. No one would say that this murderer should be freed of the consequences of disobedience to the Law, for he has broken the Law, and therefore must pay. That is simply the way things are. Likewise, since all are sinners and have broken God's Law, no one can justly complain about the consequences of his or her sin because he or she incurred those consequences, and Justice must be served. Second of all, God has a right to do whatever he will to whatever (or whomever) he wishes. Take a fantasy novelist, for instance. Just as a fantasy writer creates his own world and characters and has an ultimate control over and an ultimate right to do with his world and/or characters whatever he will, so God has created and has an ultimate control over and an ultimate right to do with everyone and everything that is in existence whatever he will (because he has made everything). Who are we, as frail creatures made in His image, to question His right to rule the Universe that He created? There is Good News, however. God has provided a way out of the ultimate consequence of our sin (eternal life in Hell i.e., separation from God and all things good forever): He has sent Jesus Christ, the only Mediator between God and Man, to endure our punishment (death and separation from God) so that Justice would be served, and we could go free. All we have to do is trust in the Savior, Jesus Christ, acknowledging and believing that He died and saved us from our sins, and strive to obey His commandments. And if we err or stray from His perfect way, we simply need to ask His forgiveness (and in some cases, the forgiveness of others) and His saving blood will be sufficient. He has suffered the penalty that we deserve. All of our sins, past, present, and future are covered. All we have to is trust in Him, and we will someday live with Him in Heaven for Eternity. Now that, is Grace."

5/5/2018 9:06:57 PM #

Glad you enjoyed it!
Thanks for sharing your email with us. I'm really glad that you mentioned that God has a right to do with us as He pleases as far as bad things happening... It's something that isn't talked about enough. God is IN CHARGE. We, as His creations, are subject to His will, and He owes us no obligations; especially since we have disobeyed Him. We should be so grateful that He extends so much grace and mercy to us and that He promises to do only the best for those who follow Him - or even that He troubles himself with our lives at all. People who question God concerning the bad things that happen in this world often don't have a high enough view of His sovereignty.
Curious - if you don't mind sharing, would you consider yourself Calvinist or Armenian?

J.S. Klingemann
J.S. Klingemann
5/5/2018 9:15:06 PM #

Excellent observation, I agree completely! Smile

Well... My family is a part of a Reformed church; we are of the denomination CREC (Communion of Reformed Evangelical Churches), which seems to be influenced heavily by Calvinistic teachings, so I would say I am a Calvinist. I have no idea what an Armenian is though, I will have to do some studying on that someday!

5/5/2018 9:23:58 PM #

Alrighty. ;) Same, I would more consider myself Calvinist. We're Reformed Baptist. ;)

J.S. Klingemann
J.S. Klingemann
5/6/2018 3:56:45 PM #

Hmm... I know the difference now! I read about the the ways in which Arminians and Calvinists differ from each other at this site: http://so4j.com/calvinism-vs-arminianism-compare .

So, I'd definitely say that I am a Calvinist!

5/6/2018 4:21:50 PM #

Thanks for sharing the link!  Same here -I wholeheartedly agree with the give points of Calvinism. Smile

Alyssa
Alyssa
5/8/2018 12:33:39 PM #

This is so true. It is incredibly important that we know what we believe and why we believe it! We must be ready always to give men an answer of the hope that lieth within us.

5/8/2018 12:37:17 PM #

Yes, it certainly is! And yes, we should always be ready to defend our faith. Thanks for commenting!

<<  August 2018  >>