Gave More than What She'd Been Given

by Grace 13. May 2018 19:28

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to take the time to talk about my mother a bit... She's an extraordinary woman.

You see, she came from a broken family. In a family that didn't put God first. She was in a public school for all of her education. She didn't live an easy life. And when she grew up, she could have just walked away and tried to make things as comfortable for herself as she could. But she didn't.

She started a family. And she wanted something better for her family than what she'd had.

She married my Dad, who had come from a better family (although still far from ideal) and they made a family. Both were the youngest in their families. They were 20. My mom had twins right off and probably didn't even know how to change diapers at first. She had me quickly after - 3 kids who were 1 and younger (my brothers had turned 1 two months before I was born!). Family and friends around were not sure she would be able to keep up.

But she did.

Even crazier, she homeschooled us.

When she hit kiddo number 5, the people around us and in our church were starting to look at our family weird. Another one, Kanyon? Seriously? So what did she and my Dad do? They found a new church! My parents knew that children were a blessing from the Lord, and they instilled that love of children into each and every one of their children.

My Mom continued homeschooling us as we continued popping out. She's an amazing cook; I remember a family we used to know, and whenever they ate something that they really liked at potluck on Sunday, they would say, "This is really good Grace. Did your Mom make this?" And half the time they were right! And the times they were wrong, there was something better than whatever they were eating somewhere in that building, I can assure you (unless I had convinced Mom to let me do the cooking for that Sunday...). And she is the diaper changing queen (in a good way!).

We have so many friends that will come and tell all of us kids stories about how amazing my Mom was with us when we were little. My Mom always looks embarrassed and tells us that the stories were exaggerated, but we know better. My Mom is amazing - she did for us what her family had failed to do for her. She and Dad have been married for almost 20 years now. We've been taught to know and embrace the gospel. She supported us and helped us pursue our dreams and interests and made what we loved a priority in her life (music, law, college, work, you name it - there's ten of us, and that's a lot of interests!). Her dedication to healthy eating and living and my Dad's love for the country inspired them to move from the capital of Oregon to the countryside. I know whenever I need her, I can walk into her room and she'll sit down with me and give me biblical advice.

My Mom truly gave more than what she'd been given. And me, my Dad and my siblings are grateful.

Mom, I love you!

Tags: , , , , , ,

5/14/2018 8:08:12 AM #

This was such a sweet post, Grace!

5/14/2018 11:27:36 AM #

Thanks! My Mom deserves every ounce of praise that I can give her. "Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her." Proverbs 31:28

5/14/2018 10:07:11 AM #

I loved this Grace!!!  My mom actually grew up in a broken family, too : / It's so sad how often families are like that. It's really neat how quickly your parents had twins, then you! Are all you siblings real close in age to each other? It would be so neat if we ever get twins!

5/14/2018 11:32:29 AM #

I'm glad you liked it, Laura! I know, it's so sad. Did you know that the divorce rate is 50% here in America? It's terrible. Frown
Yes, we're all approximately 2 years apart! Well, except for Isaac and Daniel of course, and then I'm only 14 months younger than them and that's much closer to a year. It's super fun having all of us so close in age! Are all of you pretty close in age?
Yes, twins are super fun! I know firsthand! ;) Although our twins are older than me. ;)

Laura Danner
Laura Danner
5/20/2018 11:16:40 AM #

Wow! I didn't know it was that bad!
Some of us are close, and some of us aren't. My oldest siblings (they're actually step siblings with each other) are very close in age, but I'm about 5 years after, then I have  a sister 2 1/2 years younger than me, but then after her there's six years. Then the youngest ones are closer in age (2-3 years apart)

5/20/2018 12:43:11 PM #

Yes, I know, it's so sad. Frown
Oh okay. My sister next in line after me is about 2 1/4 years younger, so there's almost the same size gap between me and her and you and your sister. ;)

5/14/2018 8:13:14 PM #

This was the sweetest post, Grace! Mom's are so amazing. Laughing I love my mom so much, and I know your mom is amazing too! Smile

5/14/2018 8:23:59 PM #

Awe, thanks! Yes, they are! We don't ever fully realize everything they do for us! Yes, both our Moms are amazing! I've actually met yours before too... She's sooo sweet! Tell her I said happy (late...) mother's day, will you?

J.S. Klingemann
J.S. Klingemann
5/17/2018 11:23:59 AM #

Your mom sounds like a wonderful mother, Grace! She seems to have come from a familial background similar to my Father's and Mother's.

My Father was born in California in a non-Christian family, and didn't get saved until he was 20 or so. When he was about 40 he married my Mother, who came from the Philippines - she came from a nominal Roman Catholic family but was saved at the age of 14, and becoming a non-nominal Baptist.

Anyhow... It's amazing to think about how much I owe to the both of them and how many times I take those many things for granted. It's even more amazing considering my parents' backgrounds (who would have known that they would become such great parents?!). Parents are certainly wonderful people, and God certainly does work in mysterious ways.

5/17/2018 8:25:46 PM #

Yes, my mother does seem to have a similar background to yours, especially since she was born in the Phillipines! (Though she's not a Filipino - I think that's how you spell it. Her father was there because he was in the military.)
Yes, it certainly is amazing that despite the backgrounds of both of our parents, they all ended up being amazing fathers and mothers. That took a lot of effort on their part and a lot of grace and mercy from the Lord for you and me!
Amen! He certainly does work in mysterious ways!

<<  August 2018  >>